Last Tuesday I was reminded about two things. The first thing was how fortunate we are to have such a dedicated fire department here in Cannon Falls. At about two o'clock in the morning my daughters were awakened by the sound of the carbon monoxide detector going off in their bedroom. No one seemed sick and of course we did not smell anything, but what do you do at two o'clock in the morning? We certainly were not comfortable going back to sleep until it was checked out, but who do you call at two o'clock in the morning? The fire department was called as they have an air detector available. These dedicated men got out of their warm beds in the middle of a cold night to come and check out our house so that we were sure that we were safe to sleep in our beds.
It turned out that nothing was detected and our carbon monoxide detector was just in need of replacement, probably because of its age. I am very thankful, but it still puts a lot of those "what ifs" in your head. "What if" there had been a problem and our detector was faulty. "What if" our detector was faulty, and having it saved our family's lives. These "what ifs" reminded me how important it is for all of us to make sure we have working fire, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in our homes. If you have not checked yours in a while, do it now. If yours are getting old, take the time and money to replace them. The cost is small compared to what it could cost you otherwise.
I don't know the names of the fire department men who came to our house, but THANK YOU for your assistance. As I said, we are fortunate to have such a dedicated staff on our fire department.