7/24/2014 10:51:00 AM Timeline: Hospital and adjacent clinic
Cannon Falls Health Care History - a Timeline
1856 - Dr. J.E. Tibbetts becomes the town's first physician.
1876 - Dr. Alonzo Theodore Conley sets up medical practice in Cannon Falls. His brother, Hiram, and son, Alva, also eventually practice medicine in Cannon Falls.
1915 - Mineral Springs Sanatorium, located a few miles east of Cannon Falls, becomes the first tuberculosis sanatorium in the county. "The San" is credited with being the site for monumental breakthroughs in the treatment of TB.
1945 - A memorial fund is established to benefit the future creation of a hospital in Cannon Falls.
1958 - Cannon Falls Community Hospital and Nursing Home opens its doors. The new facility garners attention as a "medical experiment" because it is the first Minnesota hospital designed to also serve as a nursing home.
1973 - Mineral Springs Sanatorium is closed.
1977 - Citizens in Leon, Stanton, and Cannon Falls townships vote to join the city in forming a hospital district to support the operations of Cannon Falls Community Hospital (after the nursing home portion of the facility is moved off-site that same year).
1993 - The hospital district buys a recently-built clinic located adjacent to the hospital. The clinic becomes known as Cannon Family Health Center, and ushers in an era of closer collaboration between the hospital and the physician group practice at the health center.
2006 - Cannon Falls Community Hospital and Cannon Family Health Center affiliate with Mayo Health System, a network of clinics, hospitals, and health care facilities in Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
2011 - Renamed Mayo Clinic Health System, the organization has six providers and more than 140 staff. Plans are finalized for the construction of a new medical center to replace the 1958 hospital building. The new medical center is scheduled for completion in 2014.